Saturday, March 10, 2012

Many Great Questions of Life

A lot of my friends had their Spring Break over this past week. Which was a pretty big let down for me since ours just began. Anyways, when I was hanging out with my friends, we were talking about school. My one friend asked me, why English? Of all things to teach, why did you choose English? I could have given a generic answer like "because I love English!" Although that's true, that's not really why I wanted to teach English. My passion is in reading and analyzing literature. It is something that I have always excelled out and was the first thing that I was so proud to do. From a young age, I wanted to read all the time. Even when I couldn't read, I would look at the pictures and make up words for the story myself. For as long as I can remember, reading has been such a huge part of my life. Therefore, why not make a career out of it? It's something I love and that is what makes all my hard work pay off. It's the fact that I'm educating myself. It's the fact that I'm following a dream that I've had for a long time. It's the fact that I'm learning how to educate others, hoping they will grow to have a passion like I do. All of these things, that seem tedious, stressful, and overwhelming WILL pay off. So with Spring Break having just begun, take some time for yourself. Read a book that you've been meaning to read and let yourself enjoy reading again (: Be safe, have fun, and see you all in a week! 

2 comments:

  1. So although I didn't read this before break, I thought this post was great and really reminded me why I love English and want to teach it. My friends are the exact same way and it makes me wish they had the same teachers that I had in high school that made me love English and analyzing literature in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read Chapter 8 in the Response and Analysis textbook by Probst that we have for YAL. I haven't finished it yet but he does talk about why the analysis of literature is a legitimate academic field.

    ReplyDelete